My childhood backyard that is slated to be developed in the upcoming year. What was once a bird sanctuary will now be rows of town homes

Natural History is the study of nature from the time the world began to the seconds that just passed. It is important that we understand where we have come from and our impact on the natural world so that we can make changes for our future. We have the knowledge and ability to make positive changes in our future and yet we fail to learn from our past. As we develop more and more of our land, plants and animals are being displaced and dying off. As a Global Citizen I feel that it is important for individuals, corporations and groups to be held accountable for their impact on our natural world. Education is a key factor in creating change and taking the Natural History course at TRU was a first step for me in this process. It was here I learned about the formation of our Earth and the impact of humans as we developed the land. As a class we did many hikes and field trip through different parts of Kamloops from the protected grasslands of Lac De Bois to the Secwepemc Museum.  Before I participated in this class I was blind to my natural world and failed to see the beauty and devastation all around me.

Filed trip to the Protected grass lands of Lac De Bois.

At the Secwepemc Museum I learned about Kamloops indigenous history, rituals and ceremonies. I also learned about the Residential School system which, all though I had heard about, I did not truly understand until I heard the stories first hand. As a Global Citizen it is important for me to understand the history of other cultures and to learn listen with both ears.